Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Making up blogs is quite annoying, but I do want to share something about my love to this class

I have to say I didn't have a good feeling on seminar before this class. The seminar in my mind is quite boring. Everybody has to do the required work before the discussion. And to the most of the time, at the end of discussion, mostly I would say, I gain nothing but spend about one hour to attend the "meeting". Usually we will be assigned in different topics or different readings, and also have to do a presentation on an assigned day. But nothing has to be worried about, as actually nobody would listen to your resonation as what you presented may have no relationship to theirs. Luckily, our presentations are separated to different days after professor's lecture, you do not have to present to the tables and chairs. Anyway, it would be really awkward when you just reading through the PPT slides, and find everybody was just playing on their phones or.....sleeping. Well, I did the same thing while others were doing the presentations. 


But I really love the seminar form for this class.

First of all, we have RUBRIC! Those papers really help a lot. They make the preparation for everything simple. Whenever I got stuck, I would read through the rubric and find the breakthrough.

And I like the conversational requirement for each parts of our work. To tell the truth, I never really read through the whole intro of the works we have to do last semester. The requirements are just too long to read. However, with the conversational style, the introduction and explanation become easy to follow.

The most important thing is that we have food during the class. My main motivation to take this class every Tuesday and Thursday is Stephanie's homemaking Brownie (just kidding). But it makes our class more similar to the situation in the Symposium. We share food and meanwhile share the thoughts. Taking a class is something really serious: students are sitting on their seats and listing to professor's lectures; the whole room is silent, nobody would talk or interrupt the professor, until professors began to ask questions, and point someone out. Our seminar is different, as this classroom really contains people from different majors and everyone has unique thoughts and understanding upon the topics. This kind of mixture makes this class more interesting and enjoyable.


And the last thing I really enjoyed is that we could hear from our peers. Not only through the peer review(the process of critique), but also we share our papers by the presentation. Philosophy is not only about learning but sharing right? By listening to other's presentation, I gain some new understandings that I never thought before, or have a new attitude towards a specific current issue. Well, I do not think I could gain that much more by just listening to the lectures and the presentation based on the reading materials. 

I really want to participate in another class like this one during the next year.

1 comment:

  1. I've been overall pleased with the experiment. I appreciate the detailed feedback. It will help me improve things next time around.

    ReplyDelete