Sunday, April 27, 2014

Something about my presentation and final paper


    I am working on my final paper and presentation these days, and find some interesting topics that I could share with my lovely peers and professor.  I need to write down all of them in case I will omit some of them when I design my PPT.
    
    First, I would love to share Confucius basic view towards friendship.  At the beginning of the paper process, I felt really anxious with bringing Confucius into my paper. Even though I learned the ancient Chinese philosophy one year ago, we never had a discussion focused on friendship before, we talked a little bit, but that is. And, for me, the ancient is like another foreign language, and I have to explain these ideas to my readers in English. But I feel really lucky I accounted Confucius in when I was revising my rough draft. Both Aristotle and Confucius view virtues as an essential part of the friendship, but different from Aristotle, the"company with each other" may not be that much necessary in Confucius friendship. Confucius brought up a view that friendship could span the limitation of distance and time.  For example, we could "communicate" with the great writers and poets I believe that this view could complete the theory of friendship in Aristotle in the modern society. Social networks are especial blogs and twitters increase the possibilities that two people who shared the same or similar virtues "meet" each other, and became "friends". Social networks play the role as a connection between these two virtue people, and help them "communicate".

    Second, social networks as tools of communication could help to maintain the existing friendship.

    Third, even though the previous two points are established, true friendship has really weak possibilities to develop based on the social networks. Here I would like to distinguish "sharing lives" and "share about life". "Sharing lives" are a term refer to one exactly participates in other's life. For example, our roommate sharing lives with us everyday. On the contrary, our friends who are "knowing" what we did during everyday through the social networks such as Facebook, twitter and even through the texts and emails we sent out. That is also an interesting topic which I thought I need to do more work on.

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to your presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your distinction between sharing lives and sharing about life is a good one.

    ReplyDelete